Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Prince Edward Island--woohoo!

Even if you're American, you may have heard of Prince Edward Island, or PEI, as most people call it. I have heard it described in a way that people usually reserve for really exceptional destinations; lots of extended sighs and dreamy stares off into the distance. Needless to say, I set my expectations VERY HIGH on what this trip to "Anne's Land" would be.

You have to be careful when you get off at the tourist info center on the way in (if you have kids, especially girls). It's full of Anne of Green Gables souvenirs and tons of "made in China" trinkets.

PEI, is a 3-3.5 hour hop, skip, and a jump from Fundy National Park, so we were looking forward to getting in early and having the afternoon to set up our campsite and explore the PEI National Park a little. 

As soon as we drove across the 8 mile Confederation Bridge, which connects the mainland of New Brunswick to PEI, the gentle landscape made me feel immediately relaxed. Maybe it's intrinsic to island geography...the water lapping against the shoreline, the rhythmic ascent and descent of the hills, rolling farmland, and small towns lacking any kind of big box stores. 


I was particularly impressed by the farms, especially since I love gardening. Potatoes everywhere, corn, and shocking yellow fields of something mysterious. I'm guessing it was rapeseed for making canola oil, which I had once seen in England.
We had to laugh at this! It looks like a giant mechanical grasshopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment