Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Maritime Camping Adventure

For those of you who are not familiar with "the Maritimes" or "Atlantic Canada", here is a map to give you an idea.

To start off our Maritime Camping Adventure, we decided to break up some of the driving time by stopping off at Fundy National Park, since it was on the way. Everyone has their limit about how much time they can drive, but I think somewhere between 6-7 hours is the most that a family can endure for one day.


I made marks on the map where we camped and the route that we planned to take (follow the black line to #1, 2, 3 & 4 on the map). First stop, Fundy National Park. I didn't know anything about Fundy, so I only planned a couple days stopover to rest until we reached our real destinations, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Too bad, because all of New Brunswick is a gorgeous province. It's what I picture in my mind when I think of "camping"; endless forests of evergreens (spruces, pines, etc.) and sapphire blue lakes. So much of the province seems empty and covered in wilderness.

When we finally arrived at the Park, we were captivated by the stunning view of the Bay of Fundy and the surrounding forests. The air was thick with the smell of pine and fresh air.  We stopped off at a lookout point at the entrance to the campground. WOW!



Since we arrived in the evening, we really had to rush to set up camp before it got dark. I had chosen the Point Wolfe Campground (there are two campgrounds in this Nat'l Park) because it was closer to the Bay and therefore colder. I was not prepared for nighttime temperatures in the 50's. Isn't it summer? And why had I not purchased those cute SmartWool socks that I saw in LL Bean?


We set-up the tent and kitchen area quickly. Tuvia got a nice fire going, and the kids achieved their most beloved campfire ritual...you know what I'm going to say; don't you? S'mores!

When I had made my campground reservation, I had put in a request for a site located near the "washroom". That's Canadian for "toilets". And, they took my request pretty seriously, because we were located directly across from the toilets/showers. It's true that there is more foot traffic, since everyone has to go at some point or another, but I found that the convenience of NEVER having to bring my kids there far outweighed the need for a totally private campsite. If you're a Mother of all girls or Father or all boys, you know what I'm talking about!

One of the pluses of this campground was that it was really quiet and empty. It's hard to get all of us to agree on anything, but we all unanimously agreed that this was a great campground! We even considered changing our schedule and reservations. I wandered around and looked at the other sites. So many good sites; 17, 18, 48-52, 61-62, 72, 103-104, 108 and 109.

No comments:

Post a Comment