Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Welcome to The Frampers

This blog has been germinating for about 3 years. Three years is the amount of time that it has taken for me to research camping and begin to feel comfortable with the challenges that arise when you're an observant Jew heading off into the wilderness. How do I keep kosher in a place where kosher food isn't available? Shabbos? Can I wash my sheitel in a river? Just kidding!

I finally decided to create this blog to help individuals or families out there who are interested in framping (frum camping), but find the idea of all the details a little overwhelming.

Why do my family and I camp?
This idea came about almost three years ago when my sister decided to quit her comfy but not so fulfilling job and take a 6 month road trip across the US to "figure things out". She camped in National Parks all over the western part of America. She inspired me to start thinking about my family's lack of connection to wilderness. What memories will my children have when they look back on their childhood? Vacation getaways in the Hilton? Disneyland? Don't get me wrong; I'm not dissing Disney, but being surrounded by nature opens you up in ways that you just won't get in a typical urban setting. People sit around the campfire, and get this...they talk! Kids use their imagination and not their DS. Being in nature makes you understand and respect your place in it. Watching the night skies teaches you humility. There are many reasons to get out in nature, but most of all, reconnecting with nature is peaceful.






No comments:

Post a Comment